Pete's Place

IronButt Association rides, reports, and product evaluations.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Triumph Trophy SE Auxiliary Fuel Cell and Luggage

I have gotten really spoiled having an aux fuel tank, so this was high on my list of farkles to add to this bike. It just came back from being powder coated yesterday and is mounted today. Well...the main tank is subject to a recall. I'm waiting on this to get completed before I do the plumbing.

This is a 4.9 gallon tank that brings the total capacity to just under the IBR specification of 11.5 gallons. It has been fully pressure tested. It is constructed of .100" thick marine grade aluminum alloy with internal baffling. The filler neck has a non vented cap attached to the tank with a brass chain lanyard. The total wet weight is less than 35 pounds (14kg).

It was a bit of a challenge in that the pillion seat is used to retain the rider seat. Since I recently built a tank for a BMW R1100RT that had the same problem I know what a challenge it could be. I opted to go with a simpler design that I had used on a BMW F800. This design raises the tank up enough that the seat can be removed from underneath it.

Being mounted this high may not be the most attractive solution (as compared to the R1100RT) but the height really won't impact handling as much as a pillion rider would. I'll post some ride reports as it gets tested. One major advantage of this design is the simplicity which reduces the cost and will give this tank a very competitive pricing structure.

The stock Trophy panniers are very roomy, much more so than what I had on the K1200LT. But...it is impossible to get things into or out of them while they are mounted on the bike. Opening them will spill the contents on the ground.

I have really missed having my quick connect Storm case. Another reason I was in a hurry to finish up the cell.

More pictures detailing the mounting hardware and other views are on my web album.

No comments: