Pete's Place

IronButt Association rides, reports, and product evaluations.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Shark Evoline First Impressions

I got the Evoline earlier this year. So far I have about 1000 miles on it. It replaced a Caberg Flipup that was okay but I couldn't get a replacement shield for it. Here are my impressions of the Evoline:

First off, I don't wear a full face for safety but for weather protection and if it wasn't so time and space consuming I would carry 2 helmets, one full face, one open face. The perfect helmet for me was the Gallet ISR in which the chin bar was a clam shell set up (open & closed). Regretfully, after 7 years my inner lining deteriorated beyond repair and they are no longer available.

The flipups don't do open face worth a darn. If I left the Caberg open, I would get horrible neck strain, either from the balance point or the wind pushing against the chin bar. That was my main interest in the Evoline, opening it puts the chin bar behind the helmet and out of the windstream. I had some concern that the extra weight of this helmet (~4lbs) might defeat this feature. My initial feeling is that this is the case but it is still better than the Caberg. With my budget I don't have a choice, so we will see if it's just a matter of getting the proper muscles toughened up over a few more days of riding.

Out of the box this is the best fitting helmet I have ever had. The cheek pads a firmly in place but not too tight and I am not getting any hot spots around my head.

This helmet is NOT headset friendly. Due to the inner lining (nice construction), there is no space for speakers. Adding a headset requires judicious surgical work (on the helmet not on your head). I wear custom molded in-the-ear headphones so all I needed to do was to make some room for the wiring and boom mic.

Now to my major problem (which I have had with all of my helmets). The space for my ears doesn't seem to align properly. It feels just fine for a few hours and then my ears get really sore. In the case of the Evoline the problem is where the straps come through the cheek pads. I think the strap is touching my earlobes causing the eventual irritation. I have removed some of the foam from the cheekpads to let the strap move away from my head but this has not yet solved the problem. More foam surgery is going to happen but again, due to the excellent construction of this helmet, not an easy process. FWIW--it took me several tries to resolve this problem with other helmets so it may just be my ears that have the problem.

Noise--The earplugs coupled with my hearing impairment make me a poor judge. That being said, it seems this helmet is pretty noisy. I know when I have the chin bar open and close the face shield it seems to have a lot of wind noise.

Bottom line--if you want the benefit of an open face and full face helmet this fits the bill. For me there is no other alternative and this benefit outweighs all of my other observations.

1 comment:

snid said...

Feeling you pain with the cheek pad problem, mine wore down quickly and now I cannot wear the helmet for more than 30 minutes without pain. Trying to buy new cheek pads but they seem to be discontinued...! Anybody have any idea where I can get replacement cheek pads for the Evoline 2? mcschneider@comcast.net