Pete's Place

IronButt Association rides, reports, and product evaluations.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Client's Alaska Trip

One of my clients is taking off on a long trip to Alaska. He's working off his bucket list and in the process undertaking an endeavor to raise awareness about suicide prevention. There was a nice news video posted Stamford Man Begins Motorcycle Journey to Alaska

I wanted to post this info in case you were interested in helping his cause.C

In his words...
I recently retired and one of my “bucket list” items is to ride to Alaska (and back.)  Well, I’m finally doing that and will be leaving at the beginning of June. It will be about 45 days and 17,000 miles through some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet. However,  in planning for this epic adventure, I had a recurring thought that something significant was missing, and then it hit me… 

I will travel proudly to raise awareness and funds for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) in memory of my brother, Mark.  In January of 2011, Mark lost his long battle with bipolar disorder by committing suicide.  Though devastating for his immediate and extended family and friends, he was just one of many who choose this tragic ending.   There are nearly 40,000 suicides each year in the U.S alone -- that’s more than one every 15 minutes. 

I have set up a Facebook page at www.facebook.com/IntoTheLightRide which describes the ride in more detail.  I will make regular posts to that site for anyone interested in tracking my progress toward the Land of the Midnight Sun.  In addition, I have set up a donation page at AFSP (http://afsp.donordrive.com/campaign/IntoTheLightRide) for contributions.  All donations go directly to the foundation.

Please consider making a donation to this organization.  And, please pass this along to anyone you know for whom this cause might resonate. For me, it’s both personal and important.

No comments: