Pete's Place

IronButt Association rides, reports, and product evaluations.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Triumph Trophy SE Driving Light Nighttime Performance

I finally got the bike out at night to see how the lights look. I didn't go far, just out enough to find a good dark road where I pulled off to the side to snap some pictures.

I have the driving lights wired where they are on all the time. They are dimmed (10% of max) when on with the low beam. When the high beam is switched on they come to 100%.

Here is the stock low beam with the driving lights dimmed:

Here is the stock high beam with the driving lights at 100%:

As you can see they do a nice job of brightening the road. That upcoming turn isn't in the field of vision with the low beam.

As to the driving test. Short as it was I could tell this lighting is not what I am used to having. In all fairness, my K1200LT had HID replacements in the high and low beam plus I had 2 Baja Design 4" Soltek Fuego HID driving lights. When everything was lit up I was putting some serious lumens down the road.

I would have loved to have put the Fuego's on the TT but at 2.5 pounds each they were just too heavy for my mounting. Plus, you pay for those lumens. A pair runs $600, plus the options.

The Optimus lights with the dimmer were significantly less money.

I'll have a better feel for how these lights perform after the Cape Fear Rally. I have no doubt that I will be acquiring some miles on those (to quote Rally Master Jim Bain) "Tennessee mountain dark" east coast backroads.

No comments: