Pete's Place

IronButt Association rides, reports, and product evaluations.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest

Just spoke with Mike and he left the motel in Beatty Nevada a couple of hours before I anticipated.....and being pitch dark, he missed the turnoff to get to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest (what is it about this 18k bonus location that is giving him fits?) and went 40 miles to far. When he reached Bishop California he suddenly understood why he was passing motorcycles going the other way! duh
So, now he is headed back the other way and hopefully will be in the forest in about an hour. I reread the Ironbutt report to see if there were any other major oops that I could discover, and the only one I saw was that he missed plotting a hotel that is only 4 miles from Glacier Point in Yosemite (his next stop after the pine forest) and it is an added 4500 points. So, now he knows about that.
Things always mount up....he just informed me that he had a message from T-mobile that he is about out of money and needs to add...something I don't know how to do since the phone came from Jacob at Christmas, so I will be waking Jacob up shortly to help out. This endurance rally stuff is really a group effort! This will be a 45k day if he makes all of the National Park stops that we have routed. Good Luck, Mike!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know if the S.F. Bay area is in the routing, but there's a good-sized bonus to Lick Observatory. Keep in mind, while it's a California highway (130) it's twisty (some hairpin turns) with occasional gravel in the corners if you go from the San Jose (short) side. Back side is a bit better, but not by a heck of a lot.

patty langford said...

Ray,thanks for the info. I will pass it along to Mike. Yes, that is tomorrow morning's first bonus stop and I have already told him to plan on 2 hours from his san jose stop for the night to get there. Do you happen to know the closest motel/hotel? He is currently on his way to Glacier Point and then, time permitting he will be going to Mono Hot Springs.

Anonymous said...

Patty, sorry I missed your query. Groveland would be the closest place with a decent hotel outside of Yosemite, but that doesn't do you much good now... :(
Thought the folks would be up to Lick Observatory today (Wednesday), but I guess I missed that one, too.