Pete's Place

IronButt Association rides, reports, and product evaluations.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Triumph Trophy SE Rally Prep

I just spent the first part of the week getting the bike rally ready. I had held off on connecting the aux fuel tank since the main tank is going to be replaced under a factory recall. Every tank I've dealt with needed a bulkhead fitting installed and I didn't know how Triumph would feel about a hole in their tank. Since it didn't look like the tank was going to be replaced in time I decided to take my chances.

Getting the plastic off is much easier that with the BMW K1200LT. By easier I mean easier after you figured out where they hid all the bolts. It was time consuming but the next trip will be better.

After getting the left side plastic off I discovered that the main tank is quite interesting.
It bears a striking resemblance to a Klingon Bird of Prey.
There are "wings" that straddle the frame and extend forward and down. Triumph has installed a fuel line from the lower part of each wing that returns to the main tank. This allows gas to be scavenged out of the wings.

To remove the tank you have to split this line. Triumph has put in a handy hose union. From my standpoint of needing to tap into the tank this was great news. I simply removed their straight connector and installed a T. I intended to shoot some pix but managed to forget that task.

The bad news I learned was that, like the LT, the air filter is underneath the fuel tank. The only way to remove the fuel tank is to remove these wing drain lines since they run through the frame. I don't see any way to do this without draining the fuel. So this design, while good for my one time installation, is going to be a nightmare for routine maintenance.

I also got all my electronics wired in. I tapped into the GPS power plug to draw power for my audio components. Power to my GPSs is straight from the battery since I don't want them switched.

It took some engineering but I finally figured out how to route my wiring to the dash shelf without making any ugly holes. I Dremeled  a bit of the plastic near each windshield arm to allow my wires to come through.

 This image is on the right side where I have run the power for my radar detector.


On the left side is the power and audio cables for the shelf mounted GPS.

No comments: