Pete's Place

IronButt Association rides, reports, and product evaluations.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Using a Receiver to Integrate Bluetooth into an Intercom System.

This is a HOWTO (or at least how I did it) on integrating a bluetooth output into another system.

In my case, I had a Triumph Trophy with a cool stereo [AM/FM/XM/WX] system but no way to listen to it. Most bike manufacturers are not providing an audio output other than Bluetooth.When I first looked at the Trophy I was very disappointed that there was no audio out from the system that I could plug into my system. I figured the radio would be like my LT just so much dead weight but I found a solution!

I have a pretty severe hearing impairment. I can't wear my hearing aids under my helmet (even if I wanted), and I can't hear normal headphones unless the sound is blasting way too loud.  Since I want to protect my hearing from getting worse I wear custom molded earplugs with transducers installed. My particular brand is the Challenger headset from Earplugco [no affiliation just a very satisfied customer].

I connect this to a MixIt2 [again, highly recommended] which has multiple inputs and a single output with enough gain I can turn the volume up to compensate for not being able to wear my hearing aids. I use the MixIt to integrate 2 GPS units, my radar detector, and a music source.

I bought a Bluetooth receiver which paired up with no problems at all with the Trophy. I take the audio out and route it to my MixIt and viola I have all the Trophy sources in my headset.

Here is the receiver I got. $20 from Monoprice.com
Large Product Image for Bluetooth™ Music Receiver
The nice thing about this product is that it has no on/off switch which is exactly what you want with a car or bike radio system. Connect this puppy to the same circuit as the radio and when the radio powers up, so does this. I haven't had any problems with it reconnecting. It takes about 15 seconds but has always come back.

I recommend this product as a good bluetooth receiver with the following caveats:
  • The audio out level not adjustable and is VERY high. This is obviously made to tie in to a stereo system. I had to put in an inline volume control to turn it down because when I adjusted the volume to a tolerable level with my MixIt my other devices didn't have enough volume for me to hear.
  • The USB power input jack is an A male. This requires a USB A Male to Male connector which is really rare. Monoprice has them for 85 cents but I didn't know I needed it when I bought mine. Be sure you buy one with the unit or, if you're handy with a soldering iron you can just run a USB male pigtail out like I did.
NOTE: The documentation/instructions for this device are incomplete. It is not clear at all that the USB port is for INPUT power. Especially since they used the wrong gender for an input port. It took a lot of research before I found that this port does accept a 5VDC input to power. Even then I wasn't sure until I used this port to power the device.

Here is how I mounted it.
  1. I took the unit apart and stripped out the A/C adapter tabs and trimmed the plastic a bit so I could get some attaching velcro to lay flat.
  2. While the unit was apart I took an old USB cable, cut off the male end, and soldered it on the main PCB.
  3. I wanted to leave the USB female connector in place, a bit of dremel work made clearance for the cable.


This all fit nicely in the glove box where I mounted a USB hub so I can also plug in my phone.

As far as where I put all this other stuff that will come in another post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just got a intercom system set up in my apartment and it has seriously been so so nice! My roommates love it and I'm glad I made the decision to get it!
Holly James | http://www.becaudio.com/